...
The idyllic Hotel
at Lake Anterselva Hotel Seehaus in Anterselva visit webpage »
 
 

Cathedral, Cloister and Parish Church

The Cathedral
Originally an Ottonian building  with Romanesque restructuring of the nave and aisles around 1200, of the crypt, the 3 apses and the 2 towers of the fasade. The new baroque building from 1745-1754 with frescoes by Paul Troger and the high altar by Theodor Benedetti. Classical entrance hall by Jakob Pirchstaller around 1783.
Opening hours: from Easter to All Saints-Day and December every day from 7.00 am to 6.00 pm. Daily guided tours from Monday to Saturday at 10.30 and 15.00 (closed from 12.00 to 15.00). Closed in November, January, February, March (until Easter) from 12.00am to 3.00pm.

The Parish Church
Romanesque St. Michael’s church of the 11th century, Gothic choir loft and the „Weißer Turm“ (White Tower, 72 m) dating from the 15th century, hall church of the late Gothic around 1500, after 1750 redesigned in a baroque manner with frescoes by Josef Hautzinger, Troger’s apprentice from Vienna, altars of the Baroque, Classicism and Romanticism. Famous sculpture of Simon, the „Kreuzträger“.

The Cloister
Magnificent Romanesque building (1250), vaults from around 1370, the frescoes from 1390 to 1500, the finest works of the late Gothic wall paintings; don’t miss the appearance of the elephant (3rd Arcade) and the Adoration of the Magi (13th Arcade). (From 12.00 noon to 3.00pm the cloister is closed)

 
 
 
 
... Bike Holidays ALPS, Cycling in Italy Dolomites ... ... ...